Thursday, May 28, 2009

Lifan Performance

The road trip was also to see how the bike would preform on the highway with two people. These are my findings. Overall on flat surfaces the engines does fairly well. (Remember we are talking about a 150cc motor.) Even with a slight incline or decline it handles well. But a sharp incline, engine power goes down. As for sharp decline it is really easy to handle your speed, to the point where you are using, the engine to maintain a certain speed. In this case a 250 would be much better on the highways than a 150. A 150cc is much better for city driving, even with two people. If it one person, maybe, you could get away with a 150cc, but I still believe it would be way better, with a 250.

The bike still has a problem starting after it is warm, in this case, I believe the spark plug is at fault. A platinum plug would probably deliver much better performance, than the standard plug. The gas, I am using is 95 octane. 

There is definitely a problem with the tachometer. Sometime it just, doesn't even work, stays on zero. That really needs to be fixed. 

The other minor thing that gets me is, the shifting, sometimes when coming down or going up it seems to stick. (Not shift, like it is stuck.) This is the jump between 1st and 2nd gear, on mine it is 1st, neutral and then 2nd gear. Hmm, something the dealer will have to look at. 

Well, after having the sprocket changed back to the original one that was one the first time. We went back up to Cieneguilla with the group this time. As we were heading up the road the bike was doing 80 Kph uphill, so changing the rear sprocket was a bad idea, it is better leaving the first one on. 

We ending up at a restaurant, the food was good but the bugs were real bad, nearly eaten alive. Never again, we know better restaurant's were you don't get eaten alive in Cieneguilla. 

The blue lights that I had gotten for my engine, I have now more them to under the signal lights. We have a few people that do understand how the light system works at intersections, maybe flashing blue LED's will more theirs asses a little. I will have to get some other LED's for shining up my engine at a different time. And have them wired into the running lights via a toggle switch to turning them on or off.

Anyways the bike is now in the shop, first time for everything. It is getting it's oil changed after 500Kms. (Ya, it is now over 500kms that was quick.) 

Talked to the dealer about switching the motor, they tell me everything to change including wiring will be S/2600.00 labor is extra. 

A new 250-B Lifan Cruiser V-twin is S/8400.00, which is a sweet looking ride. 

I found out the maintain my speeds at 80Km/h going up hill a sprocket with more teeth would do the trick. So I got a new socket (45 teeth) with chain, the old only has 32 teeth, kind of small don't you think? So, the question that comes to my mind, is why do they put a smaller sprocket on the bike? 

Now will this allow me to go faster than 90Km/h or just maintain a more constant speed going up hills.

Found a new bike supplier shop that has parts for my Lifan, like the rear foot pegs (they are chrome too).

Also the dealer was telling me that putting in a platinum plug would not be a good item because of the CDI ignition it has. And that the spark plug to use is a resistor style.

Now the problem of the sometimes hard starting did not do it when I took it to the dealer (it made me look like an ass) also the problem with the tach was the same, this time it worked perfect. I will have to film the damn thing on video to prove it. (There again it made me look like an ass, I swear that this bike has an attitude.)


No, changing the sprocket to a bigger tooth does not give you more speed, it does quite the opposite. I gives you less speed and higher rpm's. So, I had a 32 tooth sprocket on the rear and a 15 tooth on the front. Gave me an overall of about 90km/h, with a 45 tooth and 15 tooth on the front the overall gives you top speed of about 70km/h.

In my books not good, I will have the 32 tooth sprocket back on with the original chain. If I do change it again I will go with a 30 tooth sprocket instead of a larger one on the rear.

Well, the change has been done again. The original sprocket has been put back on. The rpm's aren't as high as there were the second time, the big sprocket increases the rpm's, now it is back to normal. Will watch the progress and watch how it goes.

Last reading on the odometer was 894 kms, so almost have hit the 1000 km mark. http://my.opera.com/linuxjunkie/blog/lifan-performance#

No comments:

Post a Comment